Product Instructions - Chalk Mineral Paint
- Start with a clean painting surface by washing your piece with Dixie Belle White Lightening and rinse well.
- Do any repairs piece needs. Surfaces can be smoothed, scratches and nicks filled with Dixie Belle Mud or we also use Elmer’s Wood Filler for paintable or stainable surfaces.
- Consider your surface. Is it slick or super shiny? Is the wood raw/unfinished? If so, this step is about problem solving. If not, go on to step 4 and just start to paint.
If you have a slick surface you’re painting on such as LAMINATE, FORMICA, PRESSBOARD, MARBLE, GLASS, apply one coat of Dixie Belle Slick Stick and let dry for one hour. Apply paint to a small portion of your project and let it dry. Scratch test with fingernail after a couple hours. If paint adheres, proceed to finish painting. If paint does not adhere, apply a 2nd coat of Slick Stick and allow to dry overnight. Proceed with painting.
If you’re painting on raw or sanded wood (no prior paint or varnish) we recommend 1 coat of B.O.S.S. to prevent the tannins (oils) in the wood from bleeding through on to your painted surface. Use CLEAR B.O.S.S. if you plan to distress the piece, WHITE B.O.S.S. if you won’t be distressing. GRAY B.O.S.S. works well with red(ish) woods.
- Paint one coat of Dixie Belle Chalk Mineral Paint using a damp brush. Dry time is typically 20-30 minutes.
- Do a very light sand to smooth (not remove) the paint with 220-400 grit sandpaper or a sanding sponge. Use a rag or damp cloth to remove dust.
- Apply 2nd coat of paint and sand as in step 5 when paint dries. For the smoothest possible surface, to make paint go further and to reduce brush strokes, I use a fine mist sprayer and water when applying my 2nd It’s not required, but it definitely produces a much nicer finish.
- Dixie Belle is self-leveling and self-sealing. During the cure time, as the water evaporates from the paint and the paint hardens to your piece, the paint will continue to level and seal. Nothing further has to be done.
- If you desire a satin or gloss finish, apply top coat after paint has dried. Use Gator Hide if you want a water repellent surface (to cause water to bead up if spilled or to prevent glass rings). Regular clear coat (satin or flat) is a water-resistant finish, not water repellent.
- If you desire Gator Hide or a clear coat, I apply those products with a sponge, foam brush, or a lint-free roller in 3 thin coats, allowing it to dry well between coats. Apply in long strokes covering whole surface in one swipe if possible. Go over that stroke only 1-2 times before moving on. Apply next stroke halfway through 1st (wet edge). Do not overwork this product. It dries very quickly and going back and forth too much with application will cause pilling of product. What you miss on the first pass, you’ll definitely get on the 2nd or 3rd.
- Dixie Belle Paint Company says that cure-time for paint is 30 days. Please be careful with your freshly painted piece and allow it to dry for at least 3 weeks before using a damp cloth on it.
Please don’t hesitate to call us if you have any questions, would like to take a class or if you have custom work you’d like to have done.
NOTE: All items in blue are available in our booth or on our website.